Monday, September 24, 2012

Learning About the World Through Food


By: Nic Yonter

 
Food from the Ethnic Food & Culture Celebration.
     Free food! This is a term that college students will go to extreme lengths to obtain. That explains the turnout for the Ethnic Food & Culture Celebration that was held on September 20, 2012.
     The event was held from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and was in the Marian Dining Hall. The dining hall was filled with students who were hungry and ready to learn about the different cultures. A vast majority of the students enjoyed their time at the event.
     “It was good. It was interesting to have a completely different variety than the cafeteria for once. I enjoyed the spaghetti and meatballs the most, which isn’t necessarily something that is uncommon. I also liked the Mexican cuisine; it was tasty as well. I did like the music involved too,” said Ryan Nace.
     Nace is a freshman at Avila University and is a member of the football team.
     “I thought it was enjoyable. I did get my picture taken and I was excited by that. It was on Facebook and I was tagged in it. I tried all types of foods. I tried a spring roll, some sushi, and a salad with Italian dressing. I also had spaghetti and meatballs that was very good. The tables were nicely decorated and I learned a lot about the cultures there. The person I talked to said that Saturday and Sunday were work days. I liked the band too,” said Alex Ghan.
     Ghan is a freshman at Avila University.
     “I thought it was pretty neat. We got to see other foods that other cultures get to eat. I think it is a good idea to get different cultures and ethnicities together, especially here at Avila. The tree and ants was my favorite food there,” said Andy Meyers.
     Meyers is a freshman at Avila University and is a member of the football team as well.
     This was an event that brought the students of Avila together through food while mixing in facts about various parts of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment